Business Technology website platforms

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Hwangers, 30th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I've recently registered my domain name via godaddy.com but the website builder platform they have is very template based and not allowing me to customize the formatting and margins etc.

The website is predominantly a blog on personal finance/development via wordpress.com. After speaking with Simon (thanks Simon!) I've decided to register for a unique domain name instead of solely using wordpress.

I'm wondering if there is a good website platform which people have used in the past which allows you to customize your website?

Any recommendations?

Thank you

2. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

3. PritechSupport

PritechSupport New Member

You can use the theme gantry5 I vase you are using WordPress.

It allows a lot of customizations.

Regards

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You should really declare that you have an interest in something you recommend - otherwise it's basically astroturfing.

5. Simon Hampel

Wix is very popular and may suit your needs, but I found it rather limiting and I really didn't like the code it generated.

I know a few people using Strikingly for their business landing pages - but I'm not sure what the capabilities are and whether it will do what you need.

Others I come across a bit are weebly and Squarespare.

Alternatively, go for a hosted WordPress (lots of hosting companies offer 1-click WordPress installs) and install your own theme and customise it from there. There are literally thousands of tutorials online for how to go about doing this.

6. Simon Hampel

Also, if you're just after a pure blog and not really interested in other website functionality - try Medium. It's become a very popular platform amongst business startups for hosting corporate of executive blogs and is a great way to find content. You can use your own domain with Medium as well - and Medium doesn't charge you to host your content!

The only caution there is that I'm not sure if Medium has a sustainable business model - I'm yet to see any kind of definite plan for how they are going to make money and survive moving forwards.

I don't think you can 301 redirect your content away from Medium if you choose to move either, so you risk not being able to redirect traffic if you decide to move to a different platform. Watch out for that on any of the other hosted services too.

7. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

I've never heard of astroturfing Simon, interesting, but yes I have an interest in it, I built it, I design and I build websites, so of course, I'd recommend something that I do well and has a great outcome.

8. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

If you are going to DIY a website, then use an existing drag and drop... Wordpress is great, but to get something unique you need to either purchase an existing template and re-design the graphics to suit your brand... or get someone who knows their way around WP.

Then as an added layer of any service add CloudFlare... or use a similar service to help serve up your website faster with an added layer of security to shun those pesky hackers aways.

9. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

if one wanted to have more functionality. what companies do we engage to

- build website, SEO and adwords
    - ecommerce functionality
    - blogging
    - etc

10. PritechSupport

PritechSupport New Member

So you are implying that you want to get the development done and would like to engage a service provider?

If yes, engaging a company would depend on a lot of things:

1. Cost
    2. requirements
    3. Profile
    4. Past projects
    5. Dealing
    Etcetera

Regards