Outdoor Marketing analytics

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 30th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Having done a bit of internet based marketing and understanding the importance of testing and refining your approach over time using analytics, I always find it curious when stuck in traffic and staring at a billboard on the side of a building - what metrics are they using? How do they define success for their campaigns?

Is is purely based on (estimated) counts of eyeballs driving past? How does Samsung know whether the money they are spending on promoting their latest phone on the top of the Glebe Island Silos is worth the investment?

Jerry O and Property Twins like this.
  2. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

They must be doing these campaigns in isolation. So that any change in the extra sales or foot traffic is solely considered the cause of the advertising campaign.

3. Simon Hampel

I'd doubt that's the case - have you seen how many adverts Samsung have for their latest device?

Right now those silos have Optus adverts on them - again, not the only place they run adverts.

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We have tried billboards and although successful the high costs mean you need to get the right site. My new GC office with a heap of signage on it is actually about $2k a month less then a billboard in the same place.

For the conveyancing practice, with an average fee of $726 (all sales and purchases averaged) and a margin of 28%, it takes a lot of new work to make up the cost. We also have 16% fall over on finance/ b&P etc. Even the cheaper billboards at $4k a month take a lot of extra coming in to make it worthwhile. A supersite (the big lit ones) at anywhere between $11k and $30k a month are not even an option. To get a decent rate you need to commit to 12 months and move it around a few sites.

My family practice is starting to take off so think I will give them another crack as the professional fees in that are much higher.

I plan on keep opening offices in high profile locations with great signage, so I get not only the signage bonus, but the local footprint brings in more work.

5. Simon Hampel

@RPI how do you measure the success of your billboard advertising? How do you know if someone contacts you because they saw the billboard vs word of mouth or some other source?

Or do you just correlate the expected spike in enquiries with the dates the billboard was visible?

6. RPI

Hi Sim

We ask every new caller and every new client how they found out about us - everytime.

That is not completely accurate as people will often say google, but when you dig deeper it might be that they saw your billboard and then googled you.

One of the harder things to to measure is name recognition. Having a site with signage all over it (or a billboard) may not mean that someone calls you. They might drive past your sign every day for months and if you asked them (when they didn't need your service they wouldn't recall anything) When they then google your service, eg conveyancing Noosa, and they see your name they are more likely to click on your ad then your competitors. We see a huge uptick in adwords click through rates when we go into an area. And it stays up. So if you do a billboard and adwords or radio and adwords or buses and adwords or direct mail and adwords you have to budget for a big increase in adwords spend as well.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

This would be one for the advertising guru's, an ex worked for an agency and the industry was not my cup of tea

For the big companies that go through agencies they have say $x thousand to spend and it's up to the agency to create a "package" that meets quotas, demographics and budgets etc etc. The agencies have stats on how many people and demographics that a billboard achieves and tv time slots, channels etc

I guess engaging an advertising agency is like engaging a buyers agent, they are out to meet you numbers and goals.

@Simon Hampel I rarely watch the gruen show on the abc but caught a bit the other week and was along the lines of coke etc spending as much as they do and why they continue to. And the answer was basically they need to be seen. They are everywhere in shelves and need to keep being out there advertising everywhere people turn so that people are constantly reminded they are the big player.

Quick Google. ... in 2013 coke spent $3.3b on advertising worldwide!

Here are some stats from an article in 2014 for billboards

The Billboard Advertising Statistics You Need To Know

8. RPI