Franchising Franchise & Business Expo

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by RPI, 24th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Franchise & Business Expo stand.jpg We had a stand at the Brisbane event on the weekend.

There were a lot less people through the doors than I thought.

Might need to talk to an expert on child labour laws too.......

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I don't hear about a lot of people wanting to start businesses lately (other than mortgage brokers and buyers agents over on PropertyChat!!).

It almost seems to be a cyclical thing and right now we're not at that part of the cycle where everyone wants to start a business? I don't understand what might drive that cycle though. Perhaps I'm just not paying attention anyway and there is actually a lot of interest but the expo was just poorly marketed?

Unemployment levels seem to be fairly stable right now - they certainly aren't high. That might explain the lack of enthusiasm when finding a job isn't all that difficult?

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We went to the Sydney one in Feb last year - it seemed to have a reasonably good turnout I thought, but I'd not been before so wasn't sure what to expect. Saw a couple of mildly interesting stands but overall nothing that really suited us (and our plans have changed since then).

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Franchises generally suck, almost as much as franchisors.
    The likely reason for little interest.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Back in the early days of the somersoft forum I went to a presentation put on by the franchise council I think it was.

It was very interesting - it was aimed at property investors who were looking at diversifying into business and maybe looking at buying a franchise but the advice we were given was that in many cases it's not the franchisee who's making the money - not the person running the business - it's the franchisor - the person who owns the franchise itself is the only people actually making any money.

So that's the business to be in - set up a business model and find something that works and then replicate it and let other people buy into your franchises