Join our business community

Critique my website please

Discussion in 'Business Showcase' started by vultures, 5th Nov, 2016.

1. vultures

vultures Member

Hello all, I just launched my website and would love if you could spend a minute or two to give me some feedback on where you think it could be improved or what works / doesn't work.

Simon if this is not the right thread or is not permitted, apologies and please delete.

So here goes: www.thegoodsheet.com.au

I've had some issues with the way it appeared on mobiles recently so would appreciate comments on whether it works for you.

It's not perfect but I don't have 10's of thousands to spend on a website so some compromises had to be made. Thank you in advance!

Workthrive likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Had a quick look on my mobile and it looked good - a bit slow to load initially not sure if that's because mobile or a problem with your server. Will compare with desktop when I get home.

Haven't tried shopping cart or anything yet.

3. vultures

vultures Member

Thanks @Simon Hampel I have asked this on Property Chat as well and slow to load was the main feedback. I left a message with my web guy to see what can be done. I know personally if I come across a slow website I hardly ever wait around so this is an issue. Thank you for looking.

Workthrive likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI Well-Known Member

It loaded slow for me also.

Looks great if you can speed it up

Workthrive likes this.
  5. vultures

vultures Member

Thank you @RPI and @Simon Hampel I am in the process of changing hosting so that should go some way towards speeding it up. Thanks for checking it out for me.

Workthrive likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There's a problem with your responsive design around the 1000px mark.

At 999px page width you get:

upload_2016-11-9_8-55-14.png

... which is good ... then at 1000px it changes to:

upload_2016-11-9_8-55-49.png

... notice how the header image is now much taller? Still looks okay though ... but at 1001px (and higher) ...

upload_2016-11-9_8-56-32.png

... that same tall image is now taking over the header, you've lost your logo and the menu doesn't look great with the image behind it.

It's only a problem on the pages where you have a header image ... Our Story, Our Sheets, Care Guide.

7. vultures

vultures Member

Thank you @Simon Hampel I have changed the header images so they don't cover the menu now and they should render properly now. I do have a size issue with one image but working on that tomorrow.

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Member

nice site. it kinda inspires me to design mens underwear. :)

9. vultures

vultures Member

Well you can't just say that and leave! Why men's underwear??

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Active Member

@vultures in not website expert but a product idea
    Can you get caravan sized bed sheets? They are slightly smaller than normal beds. But if you can get them and have easy postage for people on the road you could be onto something. Plus get the social media active on caravan groups (there's a few popular fb pages) and you could be onto something.

There's not many places to get them a lot of people ask the question on fb groups and people use doonas or diy their sheets.

11. vultures

vultures Member

Interesting idea - I'm not sure that it would work within the current business as that is a premium product... I don't imagine too many people would bother with that for a caravan. But definitely something to look into as a second business... hmmmm. I'm already not sleeping enough as it is ;)

12. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

@vultures The site looks nice and clean... a few issues that I have found are as follows.

1. when you scroll down the page the top menu logo jumps, it would be preferable to keep the navigation under the logo, or move to have the logo to the left and when it minimses the jump isn't so abrupt.
    2. Your content pages lose the logo at the top eg About us page, when you scroll down the nav appears.
    3.Some of the About us content should be general info eg the Fabric Swatch, Our Sheets and Care Guide, it's ok to add another top menu item :) - then throughout the text in About us refer to these too, then link the text to go to the pages.

That's all for now :)
    Best of luck.
    Taso.

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Active Member

Those grey nomads spend 60k+ on a van up to 150k if something super fancy or a winnebago! They'll want nice stuff inside to! :D
    You could social media working for you and be the go to place for van sheets.let them spread the word

vultures likes this.
  14. Dylan33

Dylan33 Member

On a side note. What do you do with the returned sheets. ( if any ) ? You can't resell?