Buying v Leasing Business Premises

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by RPI, 15th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi All

Being a big fan of property (hi property chat users) I would typically seek to buy the premises that my business operates out of (through a different entity). I am leasing and not looking at buying anytime in the next 3-5 years but thought it would be good to run a comparison

Key Points

At present we are expanding rapidly and capital contributions required to buy premises would limit that expansion.

Also I can get office space in the CBD at $200-$300/m2 inc outgoings and $200m2 inc outgoings in the areas we expand.

If i look at the CBD

$1.3m purchase price with duty and costs $1.36m

Assuming I could use other property to secure the capital contribution for the loan then at interest only $67,320 in loan repayments. Body Corp and Rates re $30k a year so that is rough cost of $97,320 for the year

Or I can rent it for $82,200 a year and the landlord will spend another $100k on fit out.

If I was paying down loan or I thought CBD office was going to increase in value soon then it may be more attractive.

The other consideration is that in 3 years we are likely to need 2 x above space. If you own the property are you less likely to move to where you need to be if your related entity is losing $97k in income

2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Capital availablity is the biggest reason to lease.
    Generally a business will return several times more than a property in terms of return on capital (not always).
    In saying that the long term capital growth of the property can make future financing arrangments easier.

As always theres no 'one size fits all'

Blacky

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I wrote a very detailed piece on my commercial purchase earlier this year over on PropertyChat. Here it is: My Commercial Purchase.

Effectively, through good buying, and the power of being able to dictate my own lease, I've made a pretty solid purchase. I'm ~$30,000pa better off than leasing AND Ill own the building at the end. Ill effectively have a $1mil+ property paid off generating $100k pa for my SMSF.

For your scenario, I'd look to do further investigation on ownership. You will also have depreciation on both the building, AND also if you are doing your own fit out (though the purchasing entity, or your current practice, depending how you fund the fit out). The real kicker is if you are purchasing, you will get capital growth and you will come to a point where you own the premises, not be paying out for 10, 20, 30 years on someone else's. Then you can divert funds to expand, or live off in retirement. You might even sell your practice and just decide to be a landlord at the right price.

For me, purchasing has too many 'win/wins' than leasing.

pinkboy

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I think another consideration in the lease-vs-buy decision (not really relevant to your situation, @RPI, but just generally) is whether the business is fairly portable or not - ie does it rely on a specific exposure / location.

If you are running a business that IS very location dependent, and are in a great spot but are leasing the premises, then you are always going to have that slight element of uncertainty / lack of control. If the landlord's plans don't include renewing your lease then it can be very difficult to find an alternative but equally well-placed location, even with a reasonable lead time. If you are able to buy a suitable property yourself, it eliminates that element of risk.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Sep, 2016
  5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

This is Spot on

Breakfast Creek Hotel was the best example I can think of. End of lease and landlord took it all back, including equipment at depreciated value.

6. adrian

adrian Member

I think your arguments are sound and it really just depends on the particular business. However there is the new-ish Option in Australia of a serviced office or hot desk. This does not sound right for your circumstance, but it could suit a small professional or IT start-up for example. This is often also scalable, with more offices added as needed. Also often on simple month by month lease.
    I am working with someone now who is looking into this, as he has spare office space in Parramatta and wants to fill it.