The Millenial Question

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Someone posted a short version of an interview with Simon Sinek on Facebook and I found it surprisingly good, so I found the original source and full interview from Inside Quest with Tom Bilyeu.

The discussion about why Millenials in the workplace are so tough to manage (and entitled, narcissistic, self-interested, unfocused, lazy) starts at 40:11

I found it an interesting discussion from the point of view of parenting kids who are going to be teenagers soon, but also as someone looking to employ staff - looking at what drives Millenials in the workplace now.

Interestingly, as a Gen-X myself, I do find a lot of my generation suffering from exactly the same issues that Millenials are accused of - I certainly don't feel it's only Millenials who are affected. I think some of the issues are universal and relate to how technology and social media has invaded our lives and how we need to find a balance. It's all very new to us as a society and so I think we're all still learning how to manage it all.

Now to go back and watch the rest of the interview which discusses Leadership.

Anyone read any of Simon Sinek's books?

2. Monica

Monica Member

Hey Simon, no I have not read any of Simon's books but sure does look interesting.
    I really like his approach to leading v's managing people. Unfortunately I have seen the 'Noah' story in 'Caesar's Palace' in workplaces too often. Simon seems to be very switched on to people connecting and the 150 idea of groups of people. Really enjoyed the recording, thanks for posting.

3. Srini Ranganathan

Srini Ranganathan Active Member

I've read his "Start With Why" and found it useful. It gives a different perspective and helps understand what drives people.

4. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Hmm I don't know... I've seen the interview and thought he was pretty vague generally speaking and reduced Millennials to overgrown children incapable of detaching themselves from their mobile devices - and then patronised them by saying saying they're totally not to blame and they can be 'fixed' if only corporations take over the parenting role.

He is a consultant so one could hardly expect him to talk about Millennials and not find a "problem" that he then gets paid to fix, right?

Anyway, others have said it far better than I could eg This Millennial Rant Deserves A Trophy For Being Most Wrong

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Great article - made me LOL!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia